03 October, 2011

Ranch Dip & Dressing

After years of trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that all restaurant ranch dressing contains gluten, and that every store bought ranch tastes like crap.  I know, there may be an exception or two, but they are RARE.  So, I do all of my ranch dip and dressing eating at home.  This recipe works as both a thicker dip or a lighter dressing.

Seasoning base:
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt

Dip base:
1 c low fat sour cream

Dressing base:
3/4 c low fat buttermilk
3/4 c low fat sour cream

1.  Combine all seasoning base ingredients in a sandwich bag.  Shake it all up to mix it.  I usually have my kids help with this part.

2.  Add seasoning base to either dressing or dip base, and stir together.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

Variations: I'm often tempted to use fat free sour cream or buttermilk, DO NOT DO THIS, you will be disappointed.  I find that I cannot really tell between the full fat and low fat, so I always use low fat, but fat free is not good for this recipe.  In fact, it's gross.  I've been known to double the seasoning base and add in a cup for cottage cheese with the sour cream and use it as dip for eating with potato chips.  If you don't have buttermilk for the dressing base, you can use low fat milk instead, it isn't quite as rich as buttermilk, but who always has buttermilk just sitting around?!

Another note, I keep stock of the premixed seasoning base in a jar in my cabinet.  I just multiple the recipe by 8, which makes it easier to measure, then scoop out 2 1/2 teaspoons from the pre-made mix when I want to make up a batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment